Have you started seeing dry patches on your cheeks or near your mouth? Does it feel like someone is stretching your cheeks when you smile?
If yes, it’s a sweet hello from winter!
The first signs of winter's cold signal that it's time to adapt our skincare routines. When autumn turns to winter, our skin experiences changes like dryness, flakiness, and redness. Thus necessitating a winter skincare routine.
In this article, we'll discuss the finer points of winter skincare, including the following:
- Effects of cold weather on the skin
- Best methods for maintaining healthy skin throughout the winter months
Whatever your skin type, dry or oily, we have you covered.
Understanding Winter Skin
As the seasons change, so do the needs of our skin. Autumn is a time of change, with temperatures falling from their summer highs. Your skin may still show signs of sun damage and tanning from the summer. Luckily, the humidity levels level off, and the air gets crisper, both beneficial to your skin.
However, the transition from autumn to winter can shock your skin, requiring more intensive care. Winter is marked by colder temperatures, lower humidity, and harsh winds. Together, they can strip your skin of moisture.
Here are the notable characteristics of winter skin:
- Dryness: Dry, dead skin cells can accumulate on the surface, resulting in unsightly flaky patches. This can not only be uncomfortable but also affect your skin's smooth appearance.
- Sensitivity: The harsh elements of winter can make your skin more sensitive and reactive. This may cause issues like redness, itchiness, and even rosacea flare-ups.
- Hydration Needs: The lack of moisture in the air during winter can lead to a significant loss of hydration in the skin. The skin's natural barrier, which is responsible for keeping moisture in and irritants out, is often compromised. As a result, the moisture barrier must be reinforced to combat water loss.
Winter Skincare Routine
When it comes to your skincare routine in winter, it's about 3 things:
- Nurturing your skin's health
- Protecting it from the harsh elements
- Ensuring it retains its natural glow
Let's explore the winter skincare routine in detail:
Cleansing in Winter
Cleansing is the foundation of any skincare routine. However, it's essential to approach it with care during winter, especially if you have dry skin. The last thing you want is to strip away your skin's natural oils, leaving it feeling tight and uncomfortable.
Here's what you should consider:
- Gentle Cleansers: Opt for gentle, hydrating cleansers that cleanse without causing excessive dryness. Look for products that contain moisturizing ingredients to help maintain your skin's hydration.
- Less Frequent Cleansing: In winter, your skin produces less oil than in warmer months. With this in mind, consider cleansing less frequently.
Moisturizing in Winter
Do you know who’s your best friend during winter? A good moisturizer! Look for products specifically designed to combat dryness and promote hydration. Here's what you should focus on:
- Hydrating Ingredients: Seek out moisturizers enriched with hydrating ingredients. For instance, hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and shea butter. They are excellent at locking in moisture and restoring the skin's natural barrier. Thus keeping your skin well-hydrated.
- Barrier Repair: Emollients and occlusives in your moisturizer can help repair and strengthen your skin's protective barrier. Moreover, they help prevent water loss and combat the flakiness that often plagues winter skin.
Sunscreen in Winter
It's a common misconception that sunscreen is only necessary during the summertime. In reality, UV rays, particularly UVA rays, can damage your skin year-round.
UVB rays, responsible for sunburn, may be weaker in the winter. However, UVA rays contribute to premature aging and are still a significant danger. Choosing a broad-spectrum sunscreen is crucial, as it protects your skin from UVB and UVA radiation.
Consider a sunscreen with a broad-spectrum SPF of at least 30 and above. This provides sufficient protection while ensuring your skin doesn't bear the brunt of winter's UV exposure.
Hydration is a central theme in winter skincare. Ensuring your skin is well-hydrated inside and outside is key to maintaining a healthy complexion. Here's what you should incorporate into your winter skincare:
- Internal Hydration: Don't underestimate the importance of drinking more water. Hydrating from the inside helps maintain your skin's moisture balance. Thus combating the effects of the dry indoor air and harsh winter weather.
- Hydrating Products: Besides internal hydration, use skincare products. For instance, hydrating serums or masks. These work wonders in keeping your skin plump, healthy, and free from winter dryness.
Special Considerations for Winter
Lips are often neglected during the winter, but they need care too. Use a lip balm with beeswax, shea butter, or coconut oil to keep your lips soft and well-hydrated. Plus, exfoliate gently to remove dead skin cells and protect your lips from the harsh cold winds.
Hand and Body Care
Extend your moisturizing routine to your hands and body. Look for nourishing ingredients in your products, especially for winter skincare for dry skin. For instance, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, or oatmeal. Remember to apply body lotion immediately after a shower. This helps lock in moisture for soft, smooth skin all winter.
In the winter, it's crucial to avoid harsh exfoliants that can further damage your skin. Over-exfoliation can strip your skin of its protective barrier, leaving it more vulnerable to the elements.
At ILEM JAPAN, we understand your skin's unique needs during the winter months. Here are some product recommendations tailored for winter skincare:
Crafted with the rejuvenating power of Sea Fennel Plant Stem Cells, the deep conditioning of Shea Butter, and the skin-softening magic of Japanese Rice Germ Oil, this moisturizer is a must-have in your winter skincare for dry skin.
Our Deep Moisturizer is your ally in moisturizing, repairing, and restoring your skin's natural radiance. It immerses your skin in soothing minerals while fortifying the skin barrier, ensuring long-lasting hydration.
Crafted as a soothing gel-based formula, ideally suited for normal to dry skin types, our Gentle Cleanser works diligently to:
- Encourage skin cell turnover
- Even out your skin tone
- Prevent the buildup of rough skin
As you lather up, this gentle yet effective cleanser effortlessly washes away impurities accumulated on your skin's surface, be it makeup or the day's dirt and grime. The result? Skin that feels as soft and supple as a baby.
Hydrating Gel Cream
This luxurious gel cream goes beyond the surface, delving deep into your pores to provide your skin with essential nutrients and a shield of protection.
Expertly formulated with time-tested regenerative ingredients, the Hydrating Gel Cream harnesses the healing prowess of Comfrey Stem Cells. Additionally, it draws strength from Japan's revered Hinoki Cypress Oil, renowned for its nourishing and protective properties. This nutrient-rich gel cream serves as a vital source of revitalization, promising to rejuvenate and restore even the weariest of skin.
Crafted with sensitivity in mind, this Hydrating Serum is a gentle yet powerful companion for skin needing revival.
A blend of three exceptional ingredients - Hyaluronic Acid, Marula Oil, and Tangerine Peel Extract, it creates a delicately balanced serum designed to breathe new life into all skin types, particularly those with dehydrated and dry skin, leaving it feeling conditioned, moisturized, and ready to radiate its inherent beauty.
In the frosty winter, your skin deserves some extra love and care. A winter skincare routine tailored to your skin type can make a difference. With the right products and extra effort, you can face the cold confidently, knowing that your skin is as resilient as you are.
Embrace the season with glowing, winter-ready skin, and let ILEM JAPAN be your trusted partner this winter!